Distorted Perception of Beauty

A few weeks ago I was surfing the web and looking at different wedding photographers websites. What's become popular in the world of photography is what is known as "Boudoir Photography". It's basically photos that are done in a classy, sexy way, usually in a bedroom. There is usually no nudity and the photos can vary on their seductiveness based on the taste and choice of the person having them taken. Think Playboy without the nudity.

I came across a particular site where the female photographer was very talented. On her website the photographer had commented on what a fantastic gift these photos would be for your husband or boyfriend. There was a place on her website where people could leave comments. The first comment was someone complimenting her style of photography. The second comment was from a man who was another wedding photographer. I can't remember his exact words, but it was something to the extent of, "This type of photography really disturbs me. What else are you doing to gauge your customers? What is the husband supposed to do with these pictures, put them in a frame in his office? What if their children see them?" Okay, obviously this man is a closet pervert, but regardless, later that day I thought about it and couldn't stop. Then I got really angry. About a week later I tried to find her site again so I could go back and comment to him, but alas, I couldn't find it.

So (as I climb on my soapbox)...as a woman, and if you are a woman reading this you know how many times a day we are bombarded with what our society deems as beautiful. Billboards, magazines, websites and don't get me started on the cosmetics industry. Diet pills sell by the millions, there is a nail salon on every corner. Eyelash extensions? Plastic surgery is STILL on the rise. Waxing, bleaching, high heels, Spanx, the list is endless. But let me get back to the magazines. Ah yes, Maxim, FHM, Stuff magazine, Playboy and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. News Flash, boys, THOSE WOMEN DON'T REALLY LOOK LIKE THAT IN PERSON! So, I am ecstatic that this type of photography is becoming popular. I encourage ALL adult women to get pictures like that taken. Get your hair and make up done, get a spray-on tan and go. And you too can get airbrushed and photo shopped like a professional model. Did you know there is actually a tool that makes your legs longer? Ironically, as I scroll down on my blog my eye catches the picture of Jet, the American Gladiator that I admire for her kick-ass body. Can I look like that? Yes, if I worked out 6 hours a day. Do I want to? Not entirely. Well, maybe for a day, but I would get grossed out from being slathered in baby oil.

I don't want to sound like a prude, I'm really not. But I was moved by Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty. I don't have a daughter, and I hope someday to have one, and when I do I hope I can remind myself to often teach her about real beauty. Because if I don't she'll get it 100 times over from the media.


I'll never forget the best compliment I ever received from a boy. I used to babysit a little boy named Tyler. I was in my 20's and he was 6 years old. We were playing outside and the conversation went like this:

Tyler: Andrea, do you know why I like you?

Me: No, why?

Tyler: Because you're nice and fun and you look pretty when you smile.

Me: Tyler, that's the nicest thing any boy has ever said to me. Thank you.

0 comments: