For All the Mommies

Granted, I have only been a mom now for 10 months, and I have a long road ahead of me. But the reason for this post is to talk about the reason I became passionate about this profession.

I remember my own mother when I was somewhere at the elementary school age. At that point I still looked at both of my parents as though they were somewhat superhuman. As many children do, I never thought they had normal emotions, ever got sick or tired. My mom worked full time and still had time to make dinner, vacuum every day and I never saw a speck of dirt in our window sills. But looking back, I'll bet she was so tired.

So where did she put herself on her list of priorities? Second, after me? Fourth, after my older brother and sister? Or maybe fifth, after her 3 kids and husband. Actually, it was probably sixth, because I'm sure she would clean up the house before she took some time for herself.

Remember those commercials in the 80's of the mom in the bubble bath with all the background chaos, "Calgon, take me away!" We should all take time to say that phrase, replacing "Calgon" with our own name. Take yourself away, mommy! Give yourself a break from the cleaning, tutoring, chauffeuring, dressing, bathing, disciplining, entertaining, "room momming", ...I'm getting tired just thinking about it! The way I see it is moms feel like they are speeding down the freeway, petal to the metal, passing off ramp, after off ramp, all the while having to pee really, really bad, but just don't have time to stop. It's time to slow down, get off the freeway and pee. Even if only for a minute. The freeway will always be there when you are done, and you'll be in a much better mood.

I hear a lot of, "But I don't have time! My kids/husband/job/pets need me!" And of course they do, but a rested, happy mommy makes for a happy family. Positive energy is contagious, it radiates all around you, especially to those who spend a lot of time with you. So, if nothing else do it for your family. Be nice to yourself, you have the opportunity to be the nicest, most gracious person the most important person in your life: YOU!

0 comments: